Re: LDP Agenda for December 17, 2012, with a list of issues to be closed

hello ashok.

On 2012-12-16 14:42 , "Ashok Malhotra" <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com> wrote:
>On 12/15/2012 5:37 PM, Wilde, Erik wrote:
>> how are members managed, how can they even be found, when the container
>>is gone? are we actually doing member management and containers are
>>optional? i'm a bit confused by the concept of container-less members.
>>cheers, dret.
>Members are identified by URIs.

yes, but how would you find those? REST wants us to build hypermedia APIs,
so if there is no navigable path to a URI (because a member is not a
member of any collection anymore), then these members effectively become
zombies, right?

>I have two usecases in mind.  First, I have existing resources that I
>want to
>import into a LDP system.    For example, I have existing photographs or
>music tracks
>that I want to annotate and then put into a LDP container.

do you want to import them (a la media collection)? in this case, they get
a new URI and that will be managed in sync with the corresponding media
link entry. or do you want to just link to them from your metadata entry?
in that case, their URI is outside of the management domain of the LDP
server, and the LDP server just manages the metadata entries, but not the
blobs.

>Second, and this is still controversial, if I want a LDPR to be able to
>belong to
>more than one container.

i can see that happening, but this is more secondary after we have figured
out how we approach the three different kinds of setups i described in my
last email about member management.

thanks and cheers,