Re: Modularization [Was - Re: LDP interfaces in Java (based on Jena and JAX-RS)]

On 8/7/12 4:05 AM, Wilde, Erik wrote:
> hello kingsley.
>
>>     From my vantage point, the data model is the good old
>>     entity-attribute-value model. Every piece of data takes the form of
>>     a 3-tuple (triple). Each part of the the triple is denoted by a URI
>>     with the value part being optional since it can hold literals, typed
>>     literals, or URIs.
> this, kingsley, is where you are always losing me. on the one hand you say
> we shouldn't be concerned about the metamodel in general and not focus on
> RDF specifically (which i think are great points), on the other hand you
> are proposing a metamodel that is pretty much isomorphic to RDF and,
> afaict, just a different name for RDF. how do you get from saying "Linked
> Data should not be tightly bound to RDF" to the conclusion that the
> metamodel should be a slight generalization of RDF, and not be just up to
> the choice of the service provider?
>
> cheers,
>
> dret.

Put differently, I am saying that the entity-attribute-value model
(triples) is a powerful foundation for dealing with data representation.
The letters R-D-F are a distraction. The negatives with R-D-F have
everything to do with the fatal mistake of obscuring the triple via
RDF/XML at the onset of the Semantic Web Project, and then compounding
that error by attempting to inextricably bind RDF (which most saw as
RDF/XML) to Linked Data.

The label doesn't matter, its the semantics that matter.

a Data Object is a digital representation of an Observation Subject. Its
representation is an entity-attribute-value graph. Make the
representation of the Data Object intensional and you get some other
subtleties that aren't official re. EAV:

1. relationship semantics
2. de-referencable names.

The semantics of relationships expressed via EAV/SPO triples are they
key to powerful data access, representation, and integration.

Again, the early RDF narratives had RDF/XML and relationship semantics
dumped on an audience that couldn't find the basic triple pattern and in
doing so obscured the path to the magic sauce.

A triple pattern (which isn't an RDF invention) is a powerful vehicle
for data representation. Nothing about that is platform specific. The
schema is fundamentally conceptual and grounded in first-order logic.

Links:

1. http://www.slideshare.net/kidehen/iss-1 -- nice John Sowa
presentation re. these matters (note how an expert like him took RDF to
mean RDF/XML  too)

2. http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1961297 -- about the CoRelational
approach which ultimately takes a different route to the same destination .

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com