Re: [LD4LT] annotations on the web: quick survey

Another note on this.

In the past, I also realized that anybody working with RDF still builds
these things for themselves: Links, Schema mappings, Mappers and
Converters.

Databus as a platform should handle this in the future:

# Links

We started building a global IRI index, which you can see here:

https://global.dbpedia.org/id/2nrbo

https://global.dbpedia.org/same-thing/lookup/?uri=http://it.dbpedia.org/resource/Geometria

We will soon build something where you can manage links on the web
centrally, not asymmetrically.

# Mappings

Same cluster engine adapted from the ID Management index for vocabularies

# Mappers

e.g. Construct {?s <https://schema.org/birthDate> ?o } {?s dbo:birthDate
?o }

DBpedia as Schema.org

These can be attached to ontologies, which are loaded on the bus or
auto-generated from the Mappings

# Converters

i.e. download *.nt.bz2 as *.ttl.gz

Databus is a semantic web in a bottle and we will build a client for it
that has operations like:

a) Download these 10 datasets as tt.gz

b) Download these 10 datasets into Virtuoso:
http://dev.dbpedia.org/Data#example-application-virtuoso-docker while
mapping 5 of them to DBpedia Ontology and normalise IRIs to
global.dbpedia.org where possible and converting one from csv to rdf
with mapping X

So in the future, one user can upload a NIF dataset to the bus, then
another user can upload a mapper NIF-WebAnnotations to the bus and then
the client can convert it for everybody.

Currently the client can already:

* handle any compression

* parse and convert all RDF formats

* load any RDF into docker versions of Virtuoso and Lucene/SOLR

So in the future there is really no need for the publisher to implement
content negotiation over LD or anything like your web browser handles
the HTML tag soups on the web.

-- Sebastian

--
All the best,
Sebastian Hellmann

Director of Knowledge Integration and Linked Data Technologies (KILT)
Competence Center
at the Institute for Applied Informatics (InfAI) at Leipzig University
Executive Director of the DBpedia Association
Projects: http://dbpedia.org, http://nlp2rdf.org,
http://linguistics.okfn.org, https://www.w3.org/community/ld4lt
<http://www.w3.org/community/ld4lt>
Homepage: http://aksw.org/SebastianHellmann