Version number for renaming

As a follow on:

I believe that we only to need to change version number if there is a
change in semantics, or if in a new version the same syntax would mean
something different.

I don't think renaming needs a new version number for that reason

 ixml version "1.0". would just disallow renaming.
 ixml version "1.1". would require a processor to handle renaming, but if
it doesn't it's going to complain at the syntax anyway.

Steven

On Tuesday 17 October 2023 15:36:35 (+02:00), Steven Pemberton wrote:

 > Apart from the American spelling, I have some issues with prolog. Up
until now it hasn't been necessary, so I still see a window of
possibilities to fix it.

 > 1. The syntax. It looks too much like a rule, and needs too much
lookahead to resolve. Most of ixml was designed not to need lookahead in
order to make bootstrapping easy.
 >  ixml { this may or not be a rule, who knows. Let me just copy the first
chapter of James Joyce's Ulysses here, while we think about it: Stately
Plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead.....} version "I don't really
care".

 >  ixml { this may or not be a rule, who knows. Let me just copy the first
chapter of James Joyce's Ulysses here, while we think about it: Stately
Plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead.....}: version, "I don't really
care".

 > 2. The semantics. The default is version 1.0, but if I say  ixml version
"I really don't care".    all of a sudden it will use whatever version of
ixml it can. So remind me why we care which version is specified. Its only
possible use at the moment would be to prevent the use of renaming.
 >    I would personally prefer the absence of a version to imply the use
of any version it can as well.

 > "If an implementation recognizes the version string, it must process the
grammar using the syntax and semantics of that version." This I think
allows implementations to not recognise all version strings.