Re: revised text and diagram

Dave Pawson writes:

> Attached, dot file, svg and text.
>
> I've included @ndw description of the recursive dev's view, only in the text.
>
> Comments on the text please?

In the paragraph on ixml grammars in XML, the text reads

>    2. *ixml grammar XML file*. An ixml file specified in xml. Is there
>    a schema of some ilk to which such an xml may tested? This
>    expresses the language [alphabet?]  which may be used to constrain
>    input files valid to that language.

No official schema for the XML form of grammars exists; it is not hard
to make one, and the schemas I have created are in the archive of this
mailing list since I posted them in response the last time this question
came up.  (Two schemas, one allowing extension attributes.)

In the context of parsing and formal languages, 'alphabet' has a
technical meaning, and it's better to avoid it in the final sentence
above.  The grammar defines a language.  Possible alternatives to the
final sentence:

    This can be used to constrain the input.

    This can be used to make explicit the structure implicit in the
    input.

    This defines a language and can be used to check and identify the
    structure of input files in that language.

In describing the text input file I would steer clear of speaking about
'intent'.  Many uses of ixml will be parsing documents created for other
purposes and often without any intent to follow any grammmar rules at
all.

There are no pragma files in ixml as currently specified, and no
proposals for pragma files.  I would delete that box and that section of
the text.

I don't understand the description of the ixml processor; if it takes
three inputs, what are they?  If it takes four, what are they?

--
C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
Black Mesa Technologies LLC