Re: Further thoughts on delimiter choices

> 3. If we can persuade ourselves that the only requirement in ixml 1.0
> for namespaces is that a namespace well-formed data model is
> constructed, it doesn’t look like a lot of work. (If we feel that
> namespace support cannot be added without options to control the
> serialization of that data model in a variety of ways for different
> use cases, then it’s a lot harder. OTOH, seem point 2.)
I think that this de-scoping of all but the simplest namespace serialisation options is the key to keeping the complexity of adding namespaces to a minimum.

IMO XML serialisation should be considered an implementation defined step; much of the time the XML that an iXML parser will be producing as part of, say, an XProc pipeline, XQuery script or XSL transform will not be serialised before being consumed as nodes by another part of the system anyway: in such use cases any illusion of control over which prefixes get used (provided in the iXML grammar) on which elements is likely to be compromised in any case!

Tom

Tomos Hillman
eXpertML Ltd
+44 7793 242058