Re: A BibTeX grammar

"C. M. Sperberg-McQueen" <cmsmcq@blackmesatech.com> writes:
> Norm Tovey-Walsh writes:
>
>> Here’s the grammar:
>
>> bibtex: item+itemsep, s* .
>> itemsep: s+ .

>> -s: (-[Zs]; -#9; -#d; -#a) .
[…]
>> If you take the space out between the two entries, it fails. And I don’t
>> see why.
>
> Because itemsep is required between entries by the definition of bibtex,
> and whitespace is required in itemsep by the definition of itemsep?

I expect you’re right, but there *is* whitespace between the end of the
first item and the beginning of the second in this example:

%C
@Book{K,
  t = "a"
}
@Book{K,
  t = "a"
}

There’s a newline. It’s not consumed by entry and it’s not consumed by
item, so why is it not available to function as itemsep?

> Am I missing something?

What am *I* missing?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm