Re: Error definition

We had a similar issue in Saxon-JS with the doc() function running in a certain browser (IIRC now superseded but in the style of HAL, was termed ‘HD’).

When presented with a file which wasn’t valid XML, the internal parser invoked would in most browsers, fail with a trappable error.

But not in this particular and very very common one… No - what you got back was a perfectly valid XML structure, in an HTML vocabulary, which contained within verbiage to the effect ‘The input is not valid XML and fails to parse at……’. Helpful to a human looking at it perhaps, but somewhat irksome when one had to examine a ‘returned XML’ to find out whether it contained such error-reporting information.

Of course it also meant that there was a certain class of entirely legitimate XML files (those that contained the ‘doom-laden’ phrase) that could never be read as distinguishable from absolute failure.

Sent from my iPad