Re: pragmas outside the ixml spec - an invitation

I’m happy to incorporate an add-on into my implementation. I think offering some useful pragmas as an add-on to the core functionality could really help highlight ixml’s massive potential. It could also give us valuable insight into what users might want in v_next. If we as implementors can collaborate on a standard version of the extension, that’ll make it much easier for users, and mitigate the risk of lock-in. It’ll also set a kind of good-practice standard for any future implementors.

One of my biggest bugbears with LaTeX is when a new package breaks some aspect of core functionality which, it turns out, some other package is relying on. It’s just ridiculously difficult to get the additional functionality I need without everything crashing down - but vanilla LaTeX doesn’t quite do the job. Honestly, if I didn’t have a pet LaTeX expert to help me fix these issues, I’d have given up on it ages ago (though the thought of returning to Word gives me hives).

I would hate to see anything like that happening with ixml. We have the advantage of being a fairly small pool of implementors at the moment. If we can set good standards now for how add-ons interact with each other and with core ixml, I believe we’ll be doing future ixml users a massive favour.

BTW
Dr. Bethan Tovey-Walsh
Myfyrwraig PhD | PhD Student CorCenCC
Prifysgol Abertawe | Swansea University
Croeso i chi ysgrifennu ataf yn y Gymraeg.