Re: Representation of strings and characters in XML version of ixml

> On 27,Dec2021, at 9:09 AM, Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl> wrote:
>
> On Saturday 25 December 2021 17:38:19 (+01:00), C. M. Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
>
>> The more I think about it, the more I think that preserving
>> the distinction between dstring and sstring is just a relic of the
>> time when the design wanted to preserve the accidentals of the
>> ixml grammar, and is at best misleading. So I now lean towards
>> “let us mark them both as @string”.
>
> Another question then: why do we preserve the comments in the XML?

For what it’s worth, my private answer to that has been “because they
are normally useful to the reader of the XML form, just as they are to
the reader of the ixml form.”  (A comment explaining why something
is written “a” and not ‘a’ will be an exception, if we lose the distinction
between @destring and @sstring.)