Re: scoping the IRI processing spec (was Re: status of IRI work)

* Chris Weber wrote:
> From IETF81 and even earlier it was decided that this would be a
>"target document to be referenced by HTML5."  Can we use this thread to
>have a discussion, raise questions, and define the scope for this
>document more clearly?

I think there are two extremes: one is that "HTML5" can say "Oh, URI and
IRI stuff, check this RFC, that's all" and the other is that "HTML5" has
no need to contradict what we specify but is not aided much beyond that.
I think the working group should make a specification that does not have
to be contradicted; anything beyond that is quite optional as far as the
"'HTML5' requirement", or any other "user"-specific requirement goes.

(Note that this is not "HTML5"-specific; I think that it's bad to have a
base specification that you need to override at a higher level; in con-
trast, having a base specification that you have to clarify or otherwise
limit at a higher level, that's much better. I think it was a mistake to
adopt any "HTML5" specific requirement as a matter of principle.)