Re: Agreement on IRI "processing spec" moving to W3C

On 11/23/2011 7:03 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> The work on the "processing spec" should start with making a page just
> like that; that is the only "hard" part.
That looks good...  Then let's work together to describe what would
stand up as a fair and representative test methodology that can serve as
the starting point.  As we've seen, several people in this group have
developed a variety of test harnesses.  Adam and Julian were testing to
see how URIs would be parsed into their corresponding DOM properties, I
was doing the same along with comparing that with the resultant HTTP
request, and I've seen some code from you that was testing the WinInet
APIs directly.  There are probably other people I'm not mentioning as well.

> I am fine with the Working Group saying, yeah, well, nobody bothered
> to make such a document, so we should drop the idea, but I object to
> officially passing this on to some other group without very clearly
> documenting the reasoning behind such a decision, better reasoning
> than "we didn't do it".
Maybe we didn't scope it clearly.  Pre-processing, parsing (LEIRI
support?), error handling, and limited scheme-specific rules that
represent current widespread implementations were all loosely a part of
it.  To move forward these would need to be agreed upon and more
important, of value to the end user.

Best regards,
Chris Weber