Re: How browsers display URIs with %-encoding (Opera/Firefox FAIL)

Hello Boris,

On 2011/07/21 23:03, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Pieces of the browser UI are typically not accessible to JavaScript.

Okay, got it. Might have been good for testing if it were otherwise, but
that might cause some security problems.

> In this case, the status bar (and url bar, for that matter) display here
> is done by Firefox UI code, not Gecko, for what it's worth. There are
> various situations in which the UI code "unescapes" when the core code
> would not, and once you start doing that you have to start guessing at
> encodings. Right now Gecko does NOT implement IRI across the board (and
> last I checked when we tried it broke sites).

I can understand that you might not yet implement IRIs everywhere. But
the case I showed you, displaying "/People/Dürst" for "/People/D%FCrst",
seems to be a clear bug, because "/People/D%FCrst" goes somewhere else
than "/People/Dürst" when entered in a location/address bar. If you
think it's not a bug, can you explain why? If it's a bug, is it already
in bugzilla, or should I add it?

Regards,    Martin.