Re: How browsers display URIs with %-encoding (Opera/Firefox FAIL)

On 7/21/11 7:09 AM, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
> I haven't yet figured out how this kind of test could be automated, but
> maybe somebody has an idea. If there is some javascript functionality
> that makes sure the status bar is activated and then can access it's
> content, that should do the job.

Pieces of the browser UI are typically not accessible to JavaScript.

In this case, the status bar (and url bar, for that matter) display here
is done by Firefox UI code, not Gecko, for what it's worth.  There are
various situations in which the UI code "unescapes" when the core code
would not, and once you start doing that you have to start guessing at
encodings.  Right now Gecko does NOT implement IRI across the board (and
last I checked when we tried it broke sites).

-Boris