Re: [bidi] Re: Special ordering for BIDI URLs

Hello Aharon,

On 2010/05/25 17:07, Aharon (Vladimir) Lanin wrote:
>> The best way to solve the problem that I can
>> think of can be done right now. Any significant
>> site that wants to support BIDI languages
>> should provide for the ability to have IRIs
>> with *all *RTL characters
>
> This does not seem to be practical under the current URL escaping scheme,
> since the query string often needs to contain arbitrary-language data, e.g.
> a search string. Let's say that data happens to be Latin script. There is
> currently no way to encode it into RTL characters. Thus, to stay uniform,
> the whole IRI has to become LTR. This is probably a branding issue for the
> site, which prides itself on its RTL domain name. And having the URL switch
> from all-RTL to all-LTR, with a different domain name, when the user clicks
> on some link in the page is probably quite confusing for the user. So, to
> truly allow for all-RTL URIs, we need to extend URL escaping (%XX) to the
> RTL domain, perhaps by somehow allowing decimal escapes in addition to
> hexadecimal ones, or by allowing using the first six letters of the Hebrew
> and Arabic alphabets to be used to represent hexadecimal digits 10 through
> 15.

When preparing the examples in the current IRI spec (RFC 3987), I
noticed that the '%' character's behavior is indeed rather. I don't
remember the details off my head, but I would like to ask you to
carefully check the idea with %-encoding and Arabic/Hebrew letters. It
may work, but there might be some weird effects, so that it doesn't work
as expected. If it turns out to work, it may be an interesting long-term
addition. It would help getting over the problem, described in RFC 3987
as far as I remember, that if there's a single character in an RTL
component that needs to be escaped, you may have to escape all characters.

> But even if such hurdles were overcome, and it would become *possible* for a
> site to phrase all the IRIs it requires without mixing LTR and RTL
> characters, this would only reduce user confusion. Third-party documents
> (including those originating with spoofers) would probably continue
> formulating mixed-direction IRIs that would display differently in different
> directional contexts, and sometimes seem like they belong to the site when
> in fact they don't.
>
> So, should sites be encouraged to stop accepting mixed-direction IRIs, so
> that they eventually become rare - and automatically suspect - on the web?

I personally don't think so. I think there is an important distinction
between "behind the scenes" URIs/IRIs, long, complicated stuff that is
difficult to fathom even in simple US-ASCII, and "front-side" URIs/IRIs,
short things that get put on billboards and passed around on napkins,...

> (For a site to detect mixed-direction IRIs would not be trivial. For
> example, it will be hampered by having to include the domain name in the
> check. Non-ASCII domain names are translated into (ASCII) punicode before
> they get to the site. So, the site would have to first translate the
> punicode back to the original non-ASCII domain name before checking that the
> IRI does not contain both LTR and RTL characters.)

Given that in general, sites have to deal just with one or a few domain
names (some exceptions such as blogspot.com and the like will prove this
rule), this should be rather easy for most sites. On Apache, it may be
possible to do it with a few well-crafted rewrite engine rules.

>> Another alternative would be to use a limited
>> set of markup within URLs so as to preserve the
>> right ordering. It would suffice to allow RTM
>> and LTM characters around the neutral
>> characters.
>
> (The intent here is LRM and RLM, I think.)
>
> This approach requires a mechanism for determining which LRMs and RLMs in an
> IRI are just optional "visual sugar" for the user, and should thus be
> removed before further processing of the IRI, and which are an integral part
> of the IRI.

Currently, the IRI spec doesn't allow any LRMs or RLMs, so at least on
the spec level, this isn't a problem. Any raw LRMs/RLMs would be "visual
sugar", any that are not visual sugar would have to be escaped. We would
have to check carefully to what extent this distinction survives various
operations on IRIs.

Regards,    Martin.