Re: [draft-duerst-iri-bis-06] editorial

Hello Julian,

On 2009/09/10 17:52, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:10:18 +0200, Martin J. Dürst
>> <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:
>>> Any better idea for a name? I find "needs to be used" a bit too
>>> strong, but I guess it's the users' choice, not ours.
>>
>> HTML5 re-used the term URL. That worked for me. I'm not sure why
>> "needs to be used" is a bit too strong. Browsers handle URLs the same
>> everywhere. (Admittedly outside HTML context the encoding is often
>> just set to UTF-8 by default, but that is not the only part of the
>> algorithm that matters.)
>
> ...but that's the main difference to LEIRIs, as specified, right?
>
> Julian (still hoping that we're not going to define *two* supersets of
> IRIs)

Well, probably we are actually going to do that. The reason for this is
that we want to avoid XML specs to allow as much garbage as HTML5 (for
some specific cases) allows, and that HTML5 does some tweaking that we
don't want to leak to XML. If it turns out that there is another major
technology that does weird (but different from the above) things, then
we might define a third variant. Anyway, none of these variants should
be produced, ever!

Regards,   Martin.