Re: HTML CHANGE PROPOSAL; change definition of URL to normative reference to IRIBIS

On Nov 25, 2009, at 6:42 AM, Larry Masinter wrote:

>> I'm assuming this is intended as a Change Proposal for ISSUE-56 urls-
>> webarch (mentioning that so the tracker finds it).
>
> Yes, the "HTML CHANGE PROPOSAL" was addressed to
>

>> My understanding of this proposal is that you'd like the proposed
>> changes to be made once the IRI Working Group forms and has a draft
>> with all the necessary definitions. If that understanding is correct,
>> then I think we should take up this proposal once those preconditions
>> have been met. If I have misunderstood, then please clarify.
>
> No. Waiting for preconditions would create an unfortunate and
> unnecessary deadlock.

When you say "deadlock", do you mean the formation of the IRI WG or
the drafting of the IRI spec are somehow blocked on changes to HTML5?

> The current internet draft
>   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-duerst-iri-bis-07
>
> is sufficient to consider the HTML WG proposal now. Any definition
> thought "necessary" and not contained in -07 should be treated
> as an issue/change proposal to it.

I'm glad to hear the IRIbis draft is ready to be referenced. I'll put
your Change Proposal on the tracking list. However, I think that to
fully meet the requirements for a Change Proposal it may require a
little bit more detail.

HTML5 has, as far as I can tell, exactly 4 references to
[WEADDRESSES], all in this section: <http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#terminology-0
 >. All URL processing is based on those 4 references. It should be
simple to state what specifically should replace them. Specifically,
the HTML5 draft references the definition for a "valid Web Address",
the definition for an "absolute Web Address", the algorithm to "parse
a Web Address" into components, and the algorithm to "resolve a Web
Address" relative to a base. Can you please update the Change Proposal
to mention the specific references to draft-duerst-iri-bis-07 that
should replace these references? Ideally these would refer to specific
defined terms, algorithms or grammar productions in the IRIbis draft.

Providing specific details for the requested change is a required part
of a Change Proposal, as stated here: <http://dev.w3.org/html5/decision-policy/decision-policy.html#change-proposal
 >.

> draft-duerst-iri-bis-07 is the proposed starting point of the IRI
> working group, and changes or additions should be made as the
> result of participation, discussion and consensus on the
> public-iri@w3.org mailing list, including the participation
> of members of the browser vendor and broader HTML community.

Sounds good.

Thanks,
Maciej