Re: [hybi] [Uri-review] ws: and wss: schemes

David Booth wrote:
> I respectfully disagree.  I think it is a virtual certainty that if the
> WSS protocol is useful, it will be used in ways far beyond its original
> intent.  I don't think it would be wise to artificially constrain the
> applicability of a new protocol by claiming that casual users are not
> 'legitimate'.

And this is EXACTLY where I have a big problem with the process to date.

The ws protocol has been designed in respect to a single proposed
javascript API to run within a browser.

There are many many uses for bidirectional web which go beyond
that simple restricted example.

I really believe that we should pause and consider the big picture.

It should be the IETF's remit to design a bidirectional protocol
for the web that is usable by a wide range of possible uses.

The W3C's websocket API should be just one consumer of that
protocol.

I really think that the hybi effort needs to be elevated to a
working group to progress this.

cheers