Re: Some issues with the IRI document [applicabilityUTF8-10]

At 15:38 03/04/16 -0700, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:

>At 2:18 PM -0400 4/16/03, Martin Duerst wrote:
>>What section 1.2 says is just that in order to be able to use an IRI
>>in a specific case, the characters on the server that one would want
>>to directly expose in the IRI actually have to be exposed via UTF-8
>>in the corresponding URI.
>
>Boy, I didn't read it as saying that. I see "the encoding of non-ASCII
>characters should be based on UTF-8", but that is a suggestion, not a
>mandate. If you mean it as a mandate, it should say "all non-ASCII
>characters MUST be encoded as percent-escaped UTF-8".

Hello Paul,

This seems to have shifted to be much more about
http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit#applicabilityUTF8-10 than
about http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit#e9notutf8-05. I have
therefore changed the subject line.

As I wrote yesterday, I have created the new section
http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit/draft-duerst-iri.html#UTF8use
(yesterday section 5.4, now section 6.4). This contains all the details.
However, it does not contain any MUST or SHOULD.
What you say above is not completely true; for example,
http://www.example.org/r%E9sum%E9.xml#résumé is quite an
okay URI (reference), although it is not perfect, because of the
r%E9sum%E9 part. So your wording of "all non-ASCII characters MUST
be encoded as percent-escaped UTF-8" would not be appropriate.

Can you please check whether you are okay with the new section at
http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit/draft-duerst-iri.html#UTF8use,
or whether you think that it needs some stronger normative wording?

Regards,    Martin.