Re: Some issues with the IRI document [e9notutf8-05]

At 2:18 PM -0400 4/16/03, Martin Duerst wrote:
>What section 1.2 says is just that in order to be able to use an IRI
>in a specific case, the characters on the server that one would want
>to directly expose in the IRI actually have to be exposed via UTF-8
>in the corresponding URI.

Boy, I didn't read it as saying that. I see "the encoding of
non-ASCII characters should be based on UTF-8", but that is a
suggestion, not a mandate. If you mean it as a mandate, it should say
"all non-ASCII characters MUST be encoded as percent-escaped UTF-8".

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium