Re: Soft Launch of a W3C Invited Expert identity program

> On Jan 10, 2019, at 23:16, Tobie Langel <tobie@unlockopen.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 2:45 PM Coralie Mercier <coralie@w3.org <mailto:coralie@w3.org>> wrote:
>
> 1) A public directory of W3C Invited Experts
> <https://www.w3.org/participate/invited-experts/list <https://www.w3.org/participate/invited-experts/list>>
>
> That page exposes a combination of W3C database information and information you may enter via your W3C profile:
>  * First and Last Name
>  * Group(s) in which each IE is invited

The list of groups is not accurate. For instance, it does not list me as a member of the CSSWG or the i18n WG, both of which I am a member of.

It also leaves off the AB, but maybe that's a special case. I am not sure if it should be listed because I'm an IE who's at the AB, or if it should not be there because I am elected, rather than invited, to the AB. I'd list it, but it's not a strong requirement.

> While it's great to have something which shows how large of a group invited experts are and how important they are to W3C, I think it's be a good idea to allow opting out of the list. Not everyone is comfortable with having a public profile.

I'd agree with that, and at the same time would like to ask for the opposite as well. For IEs that do wish to be discovered this way, it would be good to be able to list a way to be contacted, be it an email address, a twitter handle, or what have you. We're already able to list github, but github does not have personal messaging, so I think this should be expanded to any social media (+email) that the IE is willing to share.

> On Jan 10, 2019, at 23:47, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>
>> 2) A public mailing list so you can interact among yourselves.
>> cf. <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-invited-experts/ <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-invited-experts/>>
>

> I think a Member-only list instead or in addition would maybe be more
> useful here. Technical discussions belong in the public technical fora,
> but if we are coordinating personal logistics--which I imagine to be
> the main benefit of such a list--it's helpful if that discussion doesn't
> have to be public?

Agreed.

—Florian