Re: [EXT] Re: Safe harbo(u)rs: A structural proposal for interop

On 2/23/22 5:02 PM, Cory Doctorow wrote:
> Hey folks - revisiting this and taking the group's temperature.
>
> I'd like to propose that we produce three "technologists' sign-on
> letters" on interop mandates:
>
> 1. A proposal for mandates to come with safe harbours based on
> requirements;
>
> 2. A proposal for developing requirements;
>
> 3. A proposal for policing compliance with standards and/or
> requirements-based equivalents.
>
> I have a pretty concrete idea on #1, and would like us to do some
> structured work to produce 2 and 3.
>
> What do you all think? I'm especially interested in people who are
> really adamant that we *shouldn't* do this, and to work through those
> objections.

I still think that anything that will bring more work to compliance
enforcers than to the institutions that need to be regulated will
aggravate the situation, and plays in favor of the industry that must be
regulated. It's simple energetic logic. You can't have n institutions to
regulate and one enforcer to watch them all. It won't work. It does not
work for finance, it won't work for tech giants.

==
hk