Re: A thought experiment: writing a report on intermediary protocols

On 2/8/22 8:07 PM, Sebastian Lasse wrote:

>> Am 07.02.2022 um 14:16 schrieb Vittorio Bertola
>> <vittorio.bertola@open-xchange.com
>> <mailto:vittorio.bertola@open-xchange.com>>:
>
>> it actually removes one of the few reasons why people get fed up and
>> try alternative social networks such as Mastodon even if almost no one
>> is there).
>
> But the social network is called “ActivityPub” here.

ActivityPub is a protocol.

Social networks are us. Social media are our loudspeakers. Social media
are the digital vehicle of our social networks – we can change social
media. Social networks are what remains between us when there’s no
electricity anymore.

Speaking of online social networking is one thing. Conflating the notion
with the tools we use and making it 'a social network' is an abuse of
language that replaces actual human social interaction with a corporate
product. Beware of the words. You may end up believing you're
entertaining a social life behind a screen.

==
hk