Re: FYI: Lightning will work across ledgers

As I see it, ILP is a level of abstraction away from Lightning. In fact, if
you look at the way Lightning is being implemented you might think of it is
an implementation of many of the ILP concepts (especially the cascading
hashlocks and timeouts for security).

I certainly don't see the projects as competitive (and many of us involved
in ILP have said this before to members of both Lightning projects). In
fact, we are making an effort to ensure that ILP (an internetworking
protocol) can easily provide interop between Lightning and other networks
like Raden, Ripple or any other payment network.

ILP defines an abstraction of the "ledger layer". The layer in which value
moves around using network specific addresses, security and flows. The only
services required from the ledger layer by ILP are conditional payments;
the ability to prepare a transfer from one account to pending an expiry or
fulfillment of a condition.

What's crucial for interoperability is that there is a common condition
that all networks can use as the same condition needs to be used one all
networks for a single multi-network payment.

To that end we have already reached out to the Raden team [1] to try and
standardize on SHA-256 as this is already supported by Ripple's Payment
Channels and Lightning.

Ledgers that don't support conditional payments can be supported behind an
abstraction layer.

So in some respects I agree with Tony that Lightning is a tightly
integrated full-stack solution that is difficult to wrap your head around
entirely but I also think Lightning and ILP have different goals so it's
not actually fair to compare them.

I think our current track of making sure that Lightning is usable as
network in an ILP-based network of networks is the right one.

[1] https://github.com/raiden-network/raiden/issues/399