Re: Optimistic over Universal

From: Roberto Catini <roberto.catini@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 06:46:24 +0300
To: Evan Schwartz <evan@ripple.com>
Cc: Interledger Community Group <public-interledger@w3.org>
On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 5:48 PM, Evan Schwartz <evan@ripple.com> wrote:
> TL;DR: We can implement Optimistic Mode on top of normal Interledger by using a well-known hash (and preimage) to indicate it's Optimistic.

The case for *signalling* the optimistic mode is not very clear: even
in the standard "universal mode" I would expect any well-behaved
connector to recognize if the incoming payment is already executed. In
such a case a case the condition does not even need to be looked at,
and the payment should be forwarded to the next ledger without using
escrow [1].

In any case the proposed solution seems a dirty hack: a "well-known
hash" is not portable across different hash functions.
If a dummy condition is really required (e.g. the payment set-up costs
too much, and must be skipped), it seems cleaner to slightly modify
the crypto-conditions spec in one of these two ways:
- allowing threshold==0
- introducing constant conditions (i.e. the primitive true/false boolean values)

[1] When the receiver of the payment gets the interledger packet and
the already-executed payment it should anyway generate a valid
fullfillment: it helps the sender to keep track of which payments are
still in flight.