Re: Streaming payments for risk mitigation in Interledger

Here are a couple more thoughts to add:

*More Competitive Rates*
Streaming payments could give you a better rate than sending larger
payments. In addition to the risk factors you mentioned, there will always
be more parties who can compete to facilitate smaller payments than higher
value ones

*Slow Start*
With streaming payments you could split your payment across multiple
connectors and use their time to complete each payment as a kind of back
pressure on sending. You start sending one little chunk and automatically
send more through whatever connectors respond the quickest. Slow start
might also be useful for the same congestion-related reasons it's used on
the Internet

*Path MTU*
The size of payment a path can support is equivalent to the Path Maximum
Transmission Unit (MTU) on the Internet. To maximize the chance of being
able to reach someone you probably want to minimize the transmission unit,
or do path MTU discovery

*Packet Switching*The bandwidth concept is especially apt because one of
the benefits of packet switching originally was better utilization of
network bandwidth, so it makes sense that splitting payments would have a
similar effect

*Simpler Data Format for Exchange Rates*
Right now we use Liquidity Curves to express exchange rates. One of the
things Stefan brought up earlier was that if all payments are small you
could express the exchange rate as a simple number, which would massively
simplify one part of the Interledger protocol stack

*Probes*
If all payments were small, connectors would have a hard time
distinguishing between test payments someone is sending to probe their
routes or check their exchange rate from the real thing

It's a totally crazy idea but I do think we're going to end up with
streaming payments.

Evan Schwartz
Software Engineer
Managing Director of Ripple Luxembourg