What's a Number? Was: TJSON

From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 06:11:58 +0100
To: Tony Arcieri <bascule@gmail.com>
Cc: Interledger Community Group <public-interledger@w3.org>
There's probably a single data type in JSON that cause 99% of the problems and that's numbers.

The scientific people want 80-bits IEEE
The Java/Python/C# folks want true 64-bit integers
The crypto geeks want really big integers
The financial guys want big decimals

These problems stem from JavaScript and they all have the same solution/workaround; put the data in a JSON "string".

Does this limitation/deficiency motivate a [sort of] new JSON?

In my book it does not but it seems that a lot of other people think it is a great idea so I can only wish you good luck!

Anders