Re: Thoughts on Discovery

On 28 March 2016 at 20:26, Stefan Thomas <stefan@ripple.com> wrote:

> I think as a prototype of an alternative Discovery flow it would even be
> ok to just show the resolution flow.
>
> What are the steps leading up to returning the URI? That's what you'd want
> to demonstrate.
>
> If you do want to fork our code, the relevant section would be here:
>

> https://github.com/interledger/five-bells-wallet/blob/master/api/src/controllers/webfinger.js
>
> Note that running a wallet service requires a few steps at the moment: You
> need to have a ledger where you're the admin, so generally that means
> setting up a ledger first, then setting up a wallet. If you wanted to show
> interledger payments, you'd also need to set up a connector to some other
> ledger. In the future, we'll hopefully streamline a lot of this, but that's
> beyond the scope of this email.

Love this flow, and my intention is to create it from first principles.
Initially I'll be running a super ledger, in fact a number of super ledgers
using nodejs and express so that you can call them either as a JS function,
on the command line, or via a web call.

The idea of connectors is brilliant, and thats the next frontier for me.
To begin with I'll operate in a high trust scenario where escrow is not
needed, simply because that will enable me to prototype faster.  But I'd
like to add things like escrow as a next phase.

What I'm working towards is how the connectors trust each other between
ledgers, either by setting up trust lines (maybe something like
ripple/trustdavis?) or by taking the natural limit of allowing no account
to fall below zero.  I think I'll be able to flesh this out more as the
implementation progresses.  So Im interested to compare notes, and to see
what extent hetrogeneous ledgers can work together.

Im unsure I can personally visualize a system where webfinger and linked
data (eg json LD) interop, mainly due to webfinger limitations, but I
suppose I can add support for it, in the event that organic growth reaches
some kind of critical mass, and the benefits outweigh the cost of coding.
Looking forward to testing this stuff out.  Optimistically im aiming for Q2
of 2016.