Re: failures during the preparation phase (universal mode)

> IMHO that makes the preparation phase a phase of trial and error, much like
-- presumably -- the proposal and preceding path finding phases. If so, why
bother differentiating between these? Where is the necessity for a more
complex multi phase protocol? Complexity killed the cat as they say so its
necessity should be well-reasoned.

I'm guessing that the intention there is that the proposal phase is
initiated by the sender, while the prep phase is done one hop at a time?
This would seem to assume that the route will be determined by the sender.

Maybe I'm wrong, but are you recommending the nested transactions as a
substitute for the direct connection of the proposal phase?

Why not just eliminate the sender's knowledge of the entire route? Does the
sender know the entire route that a packet is going to take on the internet?

If there is going to be some kind of source routing in five bells that's
fine, but it seems weird to integrate it that deeply into Interledger, a
low-level transmission protocol.

Like this: Stefan escrows a payment to me on our ledger that I can only
redeem with some cryptographic condition. At this point, I want to know who
I need to escrow a payment to to get the fulfillment to that condition.

- With the current ILP proposal phase, I was sent the information on how to
get the fulfillment by the payment sender, who presumably knew the network
map and ran a pathfinding algorithm.

- With RPR <https://github.com/jtremback/reactive-payment-routing>, that
information is found during a routing phase, during which the receiver
sends out a routing message that floods the network.

- With some hypothetical BGP-like payment routing protocol, that
information would come from a routing table.

Are the last 2 routing methods possible with the ILP proposal phase? I
think not, maybe I'm wrong.