Re: failures during the preparation phase (universal mode)

> The originator will initiate another preparation phase with the same
connectors? Or another proposal? Or find different connectors? I guess all
the options are open.

Yes, these are all options.

> IMHO that makes the preparation phase a phase of trial and error, much like
-- presumably -- the proposal and preceding path finding phases. If so, why
bother differentiating between these? Where is the necessity for a more
complex multi-phase protocol? Complexity killed the cat as they say so its
necessity should be well-reasoned.

Great point. As you pointed out on IRC, the Nested Transfers [1] spec is
essentially a realization of your idea here.

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zTLQLBx0p6-Ds9Ki8nCaVBdXUK4mbJZDQOaz83n6VY8/edit