Blockchains and interledger (left-over question from the workshop)

From: Evan Schwartz <evan@ripple.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 14:45:05 -0500
To: Interledger Community Group <public-interledger@w3.org>

> Do you see blockchain as a competing technology? If so, how does the value
> proposition for interledger stack up against that for the blockchain?

ILP is a protocol for transferring value securely across centralized and
decentralized ledgers / blockchains. Interledger and blockchains operate at
different levels: blockchains are databases, whereas interledger is an
approach for connecting different databases. (I would argue that a number
of the value propositions attributed to blockchains have been overstated
beyond what they're actually good at, and many of them could be achieved in
more efficient ways. But's that's a longer discussion)

--
Evan Schwartz | Software Architect | Ripple
[image: ripple.com] <http://ripple.com>