Indisputable audit trails (left-over question from the workshop)

From: Evan Schwartz <evan@ripple.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 14:42:04 -0500
To: Interledger Community Group <public-interledger@w3.org>

> How can you provide an audit trial which is indisputable?
>

>From the sender's perspective, the key piece of indisputable proof needed
is the recipient's signature on the receipt. If the sender has that, their
obligation to the recipient has been discharged and they need no further
trail to prove that they have paid. For other participants, I would expect
ledgers to keep a history of their transfers. Ledgers and connectors may
require knowing the full path of a payment before agreeing to participate,
in which case they could also keep a history of all the paths they have
been part of. This brings up the privacy vs transparency debate though, so
I would guess that the full path will be disclosed primarily for higher
value payments.

--
Evan Schwartz | Software Architect | Ripple
[image: ripple.com] <http://ripple.com>