Non-currency asset transfers & Connector commissions

From: David Fuelling <dfuelling@sappenin.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 18:10:53 +0000
To: Interledger Community Group <public-interledger@w3.org>
Hey All,

Sorry if this has been answered already, but can anyone clarify if ILP is
intended to be used for non-currency assets transfers (assuming a fungible
non-currency asset)?

One example that comes to mind would seem to be a stock transfer for equity
settlement or other purposes.

However, it's not clear to me how will the ILP connector "fee system" would
work in a case like this.  For example, imagine I want to transfer 10
shares of stock from one brokerage account to another.  I think I can wrap
my mind around how to model that in ILP, but how does the connector
"charge" for its services?  It seems impractical to take a percentage of
shares off of my transfer.  Instead, a connector would want to additionally
transfer some sort of currency to itself as part of the transaction to
"pay" for the connector usage.

My read of ILP is that each transaction can only involve one "type" of
asset (whereas this would involve 2 types - the stock, and some currency as
a commission).

Am I misunderstanding?

Thanks!
david