Re: holding of funds

That is the reason we need a standard protocol.  Those examples are all
internal functions of the application.

A protocol defines the interface, but does not decide implementation.  The
Deliver event might be Bitcoin, dollars, or any good/service.  The protocol
should verify that delivery was made and accepted, regardless of
implementation.

For example, I haven't decided how to handle 3rd party escrow services.
Note the complexity of the legal contract:

CommerceID     EventType         Description
Javier         Terms-Escrow      ABC Escrow
Andrew         Accept
Computer       Notice            "This is a binding contract, dependent on
ABC Escrow's acceptance."

ABC Escrow     Accept
Computer       Notice            "This is a 3-party legal contract."

Javier         Deliver           Lasagna
Andrew         Deliver           $25

ABC Escrow     Deliver           Lasagna
ABC Escrow     Deliver           $25

Computer       Notice            "Contract complete."

NOTE:  The "Deliver" destinations can be determined entirely via algorithm.

Andrew B. Brown
10723 River Plantation Drive
Austin, Texas  78747
(512) 947-8282