Re: Blockchain, block size and interledger (was: How do bank payments actually work?)

> On 27 Jan 2016, at 21:08, Tao Effect <contact@taoeffect.com> wrote:
>
>> At the same time Tony Arcieri who is an expert in cryptograph argues that even though this
>> may doom the current bitcoin algorithm this does not doom the whole concept. In the second
>> part of his article "The Death of Bitcoin" he points to a number of up and coming algorithms
>> that could be much more energy efficient
>>
>> https://tonyarcieri.com/the-death-of-bitcoin <https://tonyarcieri.com/the-death-of-bitcoin>
> Tony is still somewhat new to the world of blockchains, and it’s interesting to watch him explore it as he spent a significant part of his time laughing and those he called “blockchainiacs”. Well, it seems he’s starting to become one himself now. :P
>
> The alternatives he points to are not superior to Bitcoin.
>
> SCP, for example, is completely broken in terms of being usable as a decentralized payment system because it has no way to reconcile forks once they occur.
>
> Tendermint is certainly good, but I don’t think it’s good enough to power a global currency. It’s great for smaller projects though.
>
> Hyperledger is not a cryptocurrency by a consensus algorithm, and while I haven’t looked at in detail I suspect similar issues to either SCP or Tendermint might apply.

Is it not the case that all of these technolgies contain 2 parts:

 A). the data structure ( eg. blockchain)
 B). the consensus algorithm: which allows a digital medium where everything is easy to copy, to come to an agreement on what actually is the case ( who paid what to whome, who signed what contract, etc...)

There can't be anything magical in A) as that's covered by the semantic web [1], which provides the foundation for any possible data structure, being based as it is on mathematical logic.

All that can be new is the consensus algorithms. And when I say "all" I don't mean to minimise the importance of that.

Henry

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webpayments/2016Jan/0006.html <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webpayments/2016Jan/0006.html>