Re: [User Context] alternate taxonomy keys (GPII, Schema.org, etc.) could be implemented as custom media features

Rich Schwerdtfeger

"Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote on 10/31/2014 01:13:12 PM:

> From: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> To: Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
> Cc: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>, "White, Jason J"
> <jjwhite@ets.org>, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>, Indie UI <public-
> indie-ui@w3.org>
> Date: 10/31/2014 01:14 PM
> Subject: Re: [User Context] alternate taxonomy keys (GPII,
> Schema.org, etc.)  could be implemented as custom media features
>
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Richard Schwerdtfeger
> <schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> > From: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> >> For this purpose, user stylesheets will do fine, except that they
> >> aren't supported by Chrome.  Browser extensions can also handle this,
> >> such as Stylish for Firefox or Chrome.
> >
> > It is very hard to convince customers to want to install browser
extension.

> > Like browser support for ActiveX plugins or Java applets it is a
support
> > issue for IT providers.
> >
> > For example, a bank dislikes having to manage the communication with
> > customers on how to install plug-ins, etc. They have dealt with itbut
banks
> > find it frustrating to have to support Acrobat readers in browsers.
Imagine
> > aging people having to install a browser extension and having to deal
with
> > the support issue.
>
> That's fine; anything boolean can be done with the CSS syntax in a
> user stylesheet.
>
> Trying to walk users through putting together a user stylesheet is not
> any easier than getting them to install a browser extension, though.
> (Probably harder, actually.)

I agree with you on style sheets. I don't like user style sheets either due
to the complexity and the fact that for some users creating a style sheet
is far too complicated or impossible.
I need to think on this more. plug-ins would be easier than style sheets
but there is the maintenance issue.