Re: [Events] UI Triggers for IndieUI Events 1.0

James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:

> I've made ACTION-86 to incorporate validation requirements, starting with this list.
>
> ACTION-86: Validator requirements in spec
> https://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/track/actions/86

Thank you. From the point of view of testing, does this imply that we need a
validator to implement these requirements in order to meet our CR exit
conditions?

We probably want it anyway, since we are creating content attributes in host
languages, especially HTML. If it's an XML-based language such as SVG, in
which namespace do we place the content attributes?
> > Maybe we should specify that keyboard bindings must be created in the
> > common cases (dismiss, delete, etc.), perhaps with a clause that allows
> > for UAs that don't support keyboard input, if there are any. The
> > alternative is to strengthen the authoring requirement, of course.
>
> I like it, though we'll have to word this carefully to avoid dictating what
> the specific key bindings are. We need to leave this open for locale-,
> platform-, and device-independence as the charter . We might be able to
> phrase it something like this:
>
> User agents that support keyboard-based navigation MUST provide key mappings
> that initiate the following user interface action requests. User agents MAY
> use different key mappings depending on locale, platform, and
> device-specific interaction patterns. Any key mapping will be considered a
> conforming implementation.

Excellent. This is exactly in the direction that I had in mind.

> Nice-to-have: Consider a way to query the DOM interface to determine what
> the key mapping is for a specific action, so that help text could be
> generated to include user-unique instructions. Filed as ACTION-87 against
> Future Release (post 1.0).

Superb. This also raises a larger post 1.0 concern: are there other sequences
of events besides key events that the application author should be able to
inquire about? For example, if certain touch gestures are mapped to abstract
IndieUI events by the user agent, the author has to avoid intercepting them in
the Web application, but cannot know in advance what gestures they are, except
by trying to infer them from the combination of platform and user agent.

The W3C's touch events are at a very low level now, and I would expect this to
become easier if higher level gesture support is standardized later.