Re: Testing of Events specification

On Apr 21, 2014, at 5:25 PM, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:

>>> We spun our wheels on this one a bit for ARIA 1.0. I think we ended up with
>>> the realization that it was a huge undertaking that would likely result in
>>> flaky results and no one wanted to maintain it.
>>
>> I wouldn't suggest considering it unless there were a well maintained and
>> reliable tool for generating the events and running the tests, preferably
>> under multiple operating systems.
>
> To my knowledge, no tool like that exists, and creating one is no trivial task.

I realized that I may be assuming you're asking for more than you are, so to clarify, it sounds to me like you are asking for a cross-platform (OS X, iOS, Windows, WP, Linux, Android, etc) automation testing tool that also has hooks into each accessibility API and event notification system, as could be used to test each browser or user agent (WebKit, Blink, Mozilla, Trident, etc.) on each of these platforms where appropriate.

If that's what you're asking for, it's a huge undertaking. Perhaps technically possible, but unlikely feasible. It's the main reason that CR testing for ARIA 1.0 consisted of manual cross-platform tests, augmented with automated platform-specific tests.

James