Re: User Contexts: identifying assistive technologies

Response in line below.

Rich Schwerdtfeger

Dominic Mazzoni <dmazzoni@google.com> wrote on 06/21/2013 05:53:17 PM:

> From: Dominic Mazzoni <dmazzoni@google.com>
> To: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>,
> Cc: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>, Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/
> IBM@IBMUS, Jason White <jason@jasonjgw.net>, "public-indie-
> ui@w3.org" <public-indie-ui@w3.org>
> Date: 06/21/2013 05:53 PM
> Subject: Re: User Contexts: identifying assistive technologies
>
> I mostly agree with Rich and Raman here. We should expose the
> desired feature support wanted, not the specific assistive technology
running.

> If for no other reason, consider this: on most platforms, there's no
> standard way that assistive technology registers itself with a name,
> version, and type. That information simply isn't available to the
> user agent. At best, we could try to detect the presence of known
> assistive technology, but that would raise the barrier to entry for
> new or less popular assistive technology, and there wouldn't be any
> reasonable path to support all of the automation and testing tools
> that use accessibility APIs. Even if we proposed new platform APIs,
> it's not clear what we'd do in the meantime.
>
> I'm not sure I agree that specifying standards conformance, like
> ARIA support, makes sense exactly, but something along those lines.
> There are a lot of things an app might want to do to be more
> accessible that have nothing to do with ARIA.

The AccessForAll specification defines ATInteroperable as meeting the
specific WCAG 2 AA checkpoints that involve interoperability. I could
provide the definition again and this after all what most developers are
writing to in order to be compliant.  Where there are feature gaps such as
automation below we could include that in the definition.

> Instead, I think the right granularity is more along the lines of
> accessibility features that should be supported:
> * Text alternatives: the app should provide alt text, aria labels, etc.
This is covered under wcag
> * Focus/caret: the app should expose correct on-screen focus
> rectangles, because they might be used by a magnifier, highlighter, etc.
Focus is covered under wcag.

> * Automation: the app should allow itself to be controlled by
> assistive technology - perhaps it should expose extra commands, or
> not make assumptions about mouse events, etc.
> * Captions
Captions is covered with Subtitles.