Re: User Contexts: identifying assistive technologies

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 6:32 PM, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:

> Does it really happen that two would be running simultaneously? What a
> terrible user experience that must be. I'm definitely aware of users
> installing multiple screen readers, but surely they must use them one at a
> time, no? Even if it happens, I think we'd have to allow the User Agent to
> expose one as the primary interface. I can't see how those rare dual-run
> scenarios would be useful to a web author, do you?

On Windows, many users run JAWS and MAGic (magnifier) simultaneously.
They're both from Freedom Scientific and designed to work well together.
It's also supported to run both JAWS and ZoomText at the same time -
ZoomText is a much better magnifier, but JAWS is a better screen reader,
and there's a small niche of users who like the combination of the two.

- Dominic