Re: Where should CG work go?

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 3:54 AM, Bob Lund <B.Lund@cablelabs.com> wrote:
>> Hi CG,
>>
>> The Wiki table for video/audio track [1] defines how to determine 'kind' for
>> MPEG-2 TS video and audio streams. We can create similar tables for the
>> other containers of interest: MP4 ISOBMFF, DASH, WebM and Ogg. The HTML CR
>> has a table describing what the UA should return for video.kind and
>> audio.kind [2]. So it would seem that we should add the examples for [1] to
>> [2].
>
> Agreed.
>

>> [1] also defines how to set the language and id attributes for MPEG-2 TS
>> (and other formats in the future). Should this information also be added to
>> [2], perhaps in a similar table to what exists?
>
> Yes, I think the HTML spec should have similar tables as for the @kind
> attribute also for @id, @language and @label for all the media formats
> that UAs support. Note that some of that information is already
> available on our wiki page
> https://www.w3.org/community/inbandtracks/wiki/Main_Page but needs to
> be formulated as a table (as you have done for "text kind table").
>

>> The Wiki has a table for text tracks [3] and text track cue [4] creation.
>> This could be added to the HTML5 spec in the text track section.
>
> Yes, I think those are good ideas.
>
>> What do you think about adding this information to the HTML recommendation?
>> The alternative would be another recommendation that is referenced by the
>> HTML rec. Thoughts?
>
> No, the HTML spec is the right place for it.
>
> I would recommend registering a bug for every section that needs
> updating and every attribute.
>
> So, a bug each for:
>
> https://www.w3.org/community/inbandtracks/wiki/Main_Page#Audio_and_video_kind_table
>
> https://www.w3.org/community/inbandtracks/wiki/Main_Page#Text_kind_table
> (this needs updating with information from other formats)

Oops, and of course one for
https://www.w3.org/community/inbandtracks/wiki/Main_Page#Exposing_a_Media_Resource_Specific_TextTrack
.

> https://www.w3.org/community/inbandtracks/wiki/Main_Page#Guidelines_for_creating_metadata_text_track_cues
> (here, I would add a change to step 2 of the algorithm, too, to add a
> table to explain how id, language and kind are determined)

Note that this one is an interesting one, since FAIK we don't really
have a use case for this right now (as noted in the other thread that
I just replied to).

Silvia.