Re: Where should CG work go?

Hi Bob,

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 3:54 AM, Bob Lund <B.Lund@cablelabs.com> wrote:
> Hi CG,
>
> The Wiki table for video/audio track [1] defines how to determine 'kind' for
> MPEG-2 TS video and audio streams. We can create similar tables for the
> other containers of interest: MP4 ISOBMFF, DASH, WebM and Ogg. The HTML CR
> has a table describing what the UA should return for video.kind and
> audio.kind [2]. So it would seem that we should add the examples for [1] to
> [2].

Agreed.

> [1] also defines how to set the language and id attributes for MPEG-2 TS
> (and other formats in the future). Should this information also be added to
> [2], perhaps in a similar table to what exists?

Yes, I think the HTML spec should have similar tables as for the @kind
attribute also for @id, @language and @label for all the media formats
that UAs support. Note that some of that information is already
available on our wiki page
https://www.w3.org/community/inbandtracks/wiki/Main_Page but needs to
be formulated as a table (as you have done for "text kind table").

> The Wiki has a table for text tracks [3] and text track cue [4] creation.
> This could be added to the HTML5 spec in the text track section.

Yes, I think those are good ideas.

> What do you think about adding this information to the HTML recommendation?
> The alternative would be another recommendation that is referenced by the
> HTML rec. Thoughts?

No, the HTML spec is the right place for it.

I would recommend registering a bug for every section that needs
updating and every attribute.

So, a bug each for:

https://www.w3.org/community/inbandtracks/wiki/Main_Page#Audio_and_video_kind_table

https://www.w3.org/community/inbandtracks/wiki/Main_Page#Text_kind_table
(this needs updating with information from other formats)

https://www.w3.org/community/inbandtracks/wiki/Main_Page#Guidelines_for_creating_metadata_text_track_cues
(here, I would add a change to step 2 of the algorithm, too, to add a
table to explain how id, language and kind are determined)

If you want, I can help out with extending these tables before you
submit the bug.

Cheers,
Silvia.