Re: An early 2022 Face-to-Face

Strong +1 to all the comments here.  The only two additions I'll make are
1) we need to give eight weeks warning to hold FTF meetings of the WG (, and 2) the
"flexible host" bit may be more problematic than usual, since most
employers that would usually be happy to host will still likely have severe
visitor restrictions.

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 3:40 PM Brandon Jones <> wrote:

> Agreed that I would rather have an Actually-Face-to-Face Face-to-Face (I
> miss seeing y'all!), and also agreed that March may be a bit optimistic for
> doing so. I do think we may have a better idea of where the public health
> situation is trending in another month or so.
> So I'd propose that we do a hybrid of Ada's options 2 and 3: Plan for a
> meeting within a date range rather than a firm date, monitor the COVID
> situation, and if it's looking like we won't be able to safely meet within
> the given range default to a teleconference.
> Also, given that everyone will have different personal tolerance levels
> for travel and group meetings for the foreseeable future, I'd strongly
> advocate for "first class" teleconferencing support even if we meet in
> person. Nobody should feel like they need to make a choice between
> participating and their health.
> --Brandon
> On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 12:17 PM Rik Cabanier <> wrote:
>> I prefer an actual face-to-face meeting but we'd have to do it later than
>> March.
>> Maybe we can revisit in a month? It will be more clear how Omicron will
>> play out by then.
>> ------------------------------
>> *From:* Ada Rose Cannon <>
>> *Sent:* Wednesday, January 5, 2022 11:40 AM
>> *To:* <>;
>> <>
>> *Subject:* An early 2022 Face-to-Face
>> Hi Everyone,
>> Hope you all had a peaceful winter vacation.
>> It feels like only recently we had TPAC but it's time to start organising
>> the next major Immersive Web Face to Face so we can catch up on what's been
>> done and publish our 3rd charter.
>> Ideally we would do this in March as it's 6 months before TPAC but that
>> can be flexible.
>> As far as I can see we have 3 options:
>>    - Actual for real face to face in March (with faces) probably bay
>>    area to reduce travel for the most of the group
>>    - We plan out the meeting but don't actually set the date in stone.
>>    So we can have it when things in the US are looking healthier (shortest
>>    notice six weeks), this would need a more flexible host
>>    - We just do it as a teleconference and therefore don't need to worry
>>    about travel or covid, probably 4-5 2 hour calls across a week
>> What do you all think?
>> Ada, Chris & Ayşegül

Received on Thursday, 6 January 2022 00:34:36 UTC