Re: [REPO CREATED] geo-alignment

Just FYI there was a lot of good geo work related to VRML like 20 years ago šŸ˜‰ unclear exactly how relevant but it was very competent work some pointers:
http://www.ai.sri.com/geovrml/  Iā€™d be the issues of coordinate transformations with geo coordinates are still valid.
Sandy

From: Blair MacIntyre <bmacintyre@mozilla.com>
Date: Monday, September 17, 2018 at 12:26 PM
To: "public-immersive-web@w3.org" <public-immersive-web@w3.org>, Trevor Flowers <trevor@trevor.smith.name>
Subject: Re: [REPO CREATED] geo-alignment

FYI, I put up a README and short explainer, in case we get to this today.

From: Trevor Flowers <trevor@trevor.smith.name><mailto:trevor@trevor.smith.name>
Reply: Trevor Flowers <trevor@trevor.smith.name><mailto:trevor@trevor.smith.name>
Date: September 12, 2018 at 3:34:03 PM
To: public-immersive-web@w3.org<mailto:public-immersive-web@w3.org> <public-immersive-web@w3.org><mailto:public-immersive-web@w3.org>
Subject:  [REPO CREATED] geo-alignment

Hello, immersive web folks.

I've just created a new repository to explore a potential geo-alignment feature for the WebXR Device API: https://github.com/immersive-web/geo-alignment

Blair MacIntyre has stepped up to write an initial README that sets the scope for the feature, but in general the goal is to allow devices to align their coordinate systems with their compasses. This is useful for many AR scenarios and also a few VR scenarios.

The original conversation about this feature can be found in the proposals repo Issue #5
<https://github.com/immersive-web/proposals/issues/5>
 which I will now close. All new conversation on geo-alignment should occur in the new repo Issues: https://github.com/immersive-web/geo-alignment/issues

- Trevor

p.s. I'm in the middle of adding to the proposals repo README to nail down how this whole Issue -> Repo -> Feature -> Working Group process happens, so soon it won't be quite so mysterious and opaque.