Re: AR Web

+1 to James. Was just typing same thing. If we've learned anything from the
history of tech, it's that timing and context matter. If Pete was referring
to Famous, for example, their failure had everything to do with business
model and execution <https://techcrunch.com/2015/11/06/nopen-source/>, and
zero to do with the merits of 3D on the web.

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 4:49 PM James Baicoianu <james_w3c@baicoianu.com>
wrote:

> On 8/20/2018 2:49 PM, Pete Markiewicz wrote:
> > I'd have to say - this has already been tried. About 10 years ago,
> > there was a browser (Australian company, but I can't remember the
> > name) that specifically levitated standard HTML elements into the
> > third dimension. Went nowhere.
> >

> You could say that about this entire VR/AR endeavor - it's all been
> tried before, and many companies have gone nowhere in the process.  Just
> because someone tried something in the past and did not succeed does not
> mean there's no merit to the idea, and that others won't succeed in
> making such a thing a reality.
>
> There are many reasons why VR didn't go anywhere the first time around,
> and computing as a platform has evolved a lot since then.  Let's not
> fall into the trap of shooting down ideas just because someone else
> previously failed to execute on the vision in the past, and instead
> focus on how to accomplish what we're all setting out to do today.
>
> --
> James Baicoianu
> Principal Engineer, JanusVR
>

> --