Re: 3d favicons

Working on Rik's questions...

> On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 1:51 PM John D. Gwinner <john@gwinner.org
> <mailto:john@gwinner.org>> wrote:
>
>     I believe VRML already had something like this, but I can't find
>     the link.
>

>     I had implemented this in VisCIS (My VR interface to CompuServe
>     (RIP)). If there was a file with the name "Home.VRML" in the files
>     library, that became the default world when you entered the forum.
>     However, very few copies of this shipped.
>

>     I think the concept of the existing favicon nomenclature and a
>     different MIME type makes the most sense - I'm a firm believer of
>     using existing standards, per XKCD. It can be up to the browser to
>     download the MIME type that it's most comfortable with, and if the
>     designer creates similar content via different types, it'll
>     gracefully degrade.
>

>     https://xkcd.com/927/
>     <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__xkcd.com_927_&d=DwMFAg&c=0ia8zh_eZtQM1JEjWgVLZg&r=jahSgznxrAL5kPgsRvs7bhKUEd9M5X0d-NE2WJg7VT0&m=NQaCjRbJvLaLfqwbah4QY_JZkauvdXNFK7BA_6Xez2c&s=XCtOkwhpHrXI7wYVy2BpQy9dt4KdidohDoQHrsZToKY&e=>
>

> Except in this case, there is NO standard for 3D favicons.
> For instance, should we use gltf?
> If so, should it be binary? Limited to a certain file size? Have
> references to external assets? Can it be animated?

If not active (animated or responsive to user inputs), can a screen shot
be used?
If not, is the model only allowed to be animated (e.g., animated GIF) or
responsive to inputs.

I am in favor of a 3DfavIcon, I just think it will take a bit of
discussion before figuring out what will work.

--
*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems Architect & Cloud Consultant