Re: AR Web

You might find those links I posted in my initial response interesting,
John. I was for a while very enamored with the idea of being able to break
page layouts into compositions in 3D space by leveraging CSS 3D transforms.
At Moz and Google we built some prototypes that, to my satisfaction at
least, demonstrated that the approach was easy for a relatively experienced
web designer/dev to work with, and surprisingly compelling/fun. Turn a
Vimeo video into a 60 ft screen in VR with a few lines of CSS :) The
framework that Diego Marcos and team built to help enable to experiments at
Moz was actually a forerunner of A-Frame in some ways. But more recently,
based on cumulative discussions with browser engine people, we’ve come to
believe that approach would be extremely hard to make work in existing
engines, at web scale, and that the much better place to start is
composable models in 2D compositions. That’s not to say the dream of HTML
elements in 3D space is dead, but more back burnered, at least in my team’s
thinking.

--
Josh Carpenter
UX Lead, WebVR/AR