Re: 3d favicons

I have a talk where we used the existing link syntax you use for favicon but you change the content type to glTF and that’s it. We should definitely collaborate on this one :-)

Once your proposal is up feel free to toss me the link and we can meet the two companies rule!

On Aug 17, 2018, at 7:19 PM, Rik Cabanier <rcabanier@magicleap.com<mailto:rcabanier@magicleap.com>> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 4:27 PM Waliczek, Nell <nhw@amazon.com<mailto:nhw@amazon.com>> wrote:
This is something that I have heard several different folks express interest in.  The best way to move this forward would be to write up an issue on the Proposals Repo https://github.com/immersive-web/proposals<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_immersive-2Dweb_proposals&d=DwMGaQ&c=0ia8zh_eZtQM1JEjWgVLZg&r=jahSgznxrAL5kPgsRvs7bhKUEd9M5X0d-NE2WJg7VT0&m=IHxKbziTOHAqPbdgA6_-VEyszxOKo-r7DJ1_alMyVxg&s=PCCWIJzVu9w36Z6EfnFY18NFKC_9kiZxmBrOqWqduZA&e=> .  The write-up should have a clear description of the problem and a rough idea of how you’re thinking about trying to solve it.  A few paragraphs is more than sufficient; no need for a full explainer or idl of any sort yet.

Another company will need to respond to the issue to say they’re interested in collaborating on design with intent to implement if agreement can be reached.  Initial design work can start in the issue, and, when ready, Trevor will open up a repo in the Immersive Web GitHub organization for you to start iterating on the design in more detail.

I’m very excited that Magic Leap is seriously considering participating in standards design rather than taking an approach that would run the risk of fracturing the Immersive Web 😊

Thanks Nell!

We'll write up a proposal.
It will mostly build on the existing favicon syntax but will use gltf instead of ico. If other people already have an implementation, please let us know so we can work on the document together.

Let's say our group comes to an agreement, do we then take it to the HTML WG?

From: Rik Cabanier <rcabanier@magicleap.com<mailto:rcabanier@magicleap.com>>
Date: Friday, August 17, 2018 at 3:34 PM
To: "public-immersive-web@w3.org<mailto:public-immersive-web@w3.org>" <public-immersive-web@w3.org<mailto:public-immersive-web@w3.org>>
Subject: 3d favicons

All,

We're interested in coming up with a standardized way of supporting 3D favicons so a website can have a 2D and a 3D icon.
Helio [1] already implemented some support but we want to have a standardized solution that incorporates everyone's input.

Is anyone else interested in pursuing this?

Rik

1: https://www.magicleap.com/experiences/helio<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.magicleap.com_experiences_helio&d=DwMFaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=aiUMbGW4WL3JSYxR2Qm1uYACjq-bqRegNtlyhvV4xew&m=neuY-tTT1qdx1yc26OkJ1V3bKicidQRjc3YrpbizlG0&s=qYBMdBJMVK_MGVihmYw396cmboEfql7IsloVs7JbrQI&e=>