Re: Requesting IESG Approval for the Media Type application/xslt+xml, application/xquery+xml, and application/xquery

On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 10:14:57PM +0100, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/PER-xquery-20090421/#id-registration-of-mime-type>
> is using own order of sections (and sometimes uses different section
> names) from the template prescribed in Section 10 of RFC 4288. I thought
> information about Magic numbers is missing, but I finally found section
> "G.4 Recognizing XQuery Files", which covers that. In the future, I
> would ask W3C to use the correct template, as it makes checking
> registrations easier.

I may have used an outdated template - XQuery was either the first or one
of the first specs to use this new combined process.

> 2).
>> The syntax of XQuery is expressed in Unicode but may be written with
>> any Unicode-compatible character encoding, including UTF-8 or UTF-16,
>> or transported as US-ASCII or Latin-1 with Unicode characters outside
>> the range of the given encoding represented using an XML-style &#xddd;
>> syntax.
>
> Is there any good reason for allowing Latin-1? IETF pretty much settled
> on only using US-ASCII, UTF-8 (and rarely UTF-16).

To the best of my memory it was for in response to a comment regarding
HTTP cpmpatibility, but, there is also no good reason to forbid it at
this point, with over 50 XQuery implementations in the field.

For XQuery 1.1 we could possibly disallow Latin-1, but I don't think
we'd gain anything now.  If we were still in 2005, we'd be in a
position to change such things, and I think do a better job.
Removing it could only hurt interop now I think.

Thanks for the comments!

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/ * http://www.fromoldbooks.org/