Re: Requesting IESG Approval for the Media Type application/xslt+xml, application/xquery+xml, and application/xquery

Alexey Melnikov wrote:

> Alexey Melnikov wrote:
>
>> Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Alexey,
>>
> Hi Philippe,
> I've done a detailed review of the 3 registrations.
> application/xslt+xml and application/xquery+xml look fine to me (I
> might have some non blocking nits I report separately). I have some
> further comments regarding application/xquery, I am sorry that I
> haven't spotted them earlier.

In particular:

1).
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/PER-xquery-20090421/#id-registration-of-mime-type>
is using own order of sections (and sometimes uses different section
names) from the template prescribed in Section 10 of RFC 4288. I thought
information about Magic numbers is missing, but I finally found section
"G.4 Recognizing XQuery Files", which covers that. In the future, I
would ask W3C to use the correct template, as it makes checking
registrations easier.

2).

> The syntax of XQuery is expressed in Unicode but may be written with
> any Unicode-compatible character encoding, including UTF-8 or UTF-16,
> or transported as US-ASCII or Latin-1 with Unicode characters outside
> the range of the given encoding represented using an XML-style &#xddd;
> syntax.

Is there any good reason for allowing Latin-1? IETF pretty much settled
on only using US-ASCII, UTF-8 (and rarely UTF-16).